As of Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Chicago detectives are now joining together to get Empire actor, Jussie Smollett’s, financial records. This is a major turn in Smollet’s case post an alleged hate crime made against Smollett, when it was reported that two men approached him early morning on January 29, 2019 yelling out “homophobic and racial slurs” as they proceeded to assault Smollett “ pouring an unknown chemical substance” onto him.
Detectives continue to hit Smollett with more questions about the attack reported on January 29th with Smollett’s attorneys not yet making it clear about when the thirty-six year old actor will be able to speak with police.
Smollett explained to law enforcement that two men attacked him, putting a rope around his neck before pouring an unknown chemical substance onto him.
Smollett has denied setting up his attack, according to a statement from his attorneys.
In a statement made by 20th Century Fox Television, which produces the series “Empire” on which Smollett appears, Fox showed support for the NAACP Image Award nominated Empire actor explaining “Jussie continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show.”
Several police officers with some insight on the case have told various news outlets that police believe Smollett paid two brothers to plan an attack against him.
The brothers Abimbola Osundairo and Olabingo Osundairo, who were arrested and released in connection with the attack, met earlier in the week with law enforcement at a Chicago courthouse, Chicago police spokesman Tom Ahern said. The county’s top prosecutor, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, has recused herself from the investigation, according to a spokeswoman from her office.
Although both brothers were arrested on February 13, both were released Friday following officers coming across “new evidence” and are no longer considered suspects at this time.